In partnership with Eagle River Elementary, Land O’Lakes Elementary, St. Germain Elementary, and Phelps Elementary, the local community is providing meals through the “Weekend Backpack” program. Backpacks are sent home on Friday with “child-friendly, easy-to-prepare” food items providing the necessary calories to help eliminate their hunger. Many of the parents are struggling to keep their children fed so our goal is to provide food support on weekends.
The Backpack Program started in the March 2015 with one hungry 3rd grader and the heart of a school volunteer. Since then, the Backpack program has grown to over 135 elementary school students, 4K-6th grade.
In April 2017, “The Locker” was launched. The Locker is a food and personal care pantry directly located in the Northland Pines Middle School/High School building and serves over 60 students. In addition, “The Room” opened at Eagle River Elementary School to provide emergency food for students and families. The Locker and the Room have refrigerators to provide healthy perishable food options as well. Personal care items and school supplies are also available.
Student participants’ names are kept confidential by the school and school district staff. Students and parents self-identify and/or identified by school staff.
If you would like your child to participate in the program, please contact your school’s teacher, principal or pupil services.
How Can You Help?
You can help by dropping off needed items at one of the local drop-off sites, make a monetary donation, or volunteer your time.
Needed Items include:
- Oatmeal (individual packets)
- Cereal (individual cups or boxes)
- Pop Tarts
- Applesauce (individual cups)
- Fruit Cups (individual size, no Jell-O)
- Juice Boxes (individual size)
- Pudding (individual cups – vanilla or chocolate preferred)
- Complete Meals (microwavable)
- Macaroni ‘N’ Cheese (individual cups or Easy Mac – no boxes)
- Ramen Noodles (Beef or Chicken)
- Soups (canned, microwavable)
- Microwavable meal cups (Chef Boyardee, Hormel Chili, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, etc.)
- Microwavable Popcorn
- Granola Bars
- Breakfast Bars
- Individual pre-packaged mini-muffins
- Tuna or chicken (packets only, no cans)
Snack items (must be individual size):
- Trail Mix
- Fruit Snacks
- Cheese or peanut butter crackers (individual)
- other similar items
- No chips please
When donating food, please select items that are appropriate for a 4-5 year old’s taste preferences. Expired food or food past the sell by date cannot be used. Thank you.
Items can be dropped off at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
The Backpack Program is proud to partner with the Northland Pines and Phelps School District in providing support and encouragement to youth and families.